Flowers available in 2017We have finalized our list of flowers that we will be growing in 2017 including Zinnia, Gomphrena, Marigolds and more! Check out Hilterman Farms for a complete list.
Orchard StartedWe have our first two trees in the fruit orchard!
Preparing for Winter on your HomesteadSince we are only a couple of weeks away from our first frost here in Western Pennsylvania, it's a good idea to get your homestead ready for the never-ending chill.
Preparing your garden
Around the house
Thinking about the impending winter does not excite most of us but it is a reality of living where we live. Just think, May 17 is our average last frost so we have 8 months to mentally prepare for Spring.
Bumper Crop of TomatoesAfter a few years of struggle growing tomatoes, mom has had a very successful crop of tomatoes. So far she has 60 quarts canned with many, many more on her porch and on the vine.
Storage Shed BuildWe have decided to build a storage shed to house building materials and tools for when we begin construction on the main cabin. It will be a small shed, 8'x12'.
View the progress pictures... Read more...
New Cabin Location Leveled
The location for the new cabin has been leveled and ready for the construction to start. A big thank you goes out to my neighbor Joe for putting his equipment to work to level this area.
Planning the new CabinAfter building the hilltop cabin last year, I wanted to build one that was easier to get to in the winter. Since my land has a "lower 40" that is just about level with the road, this is where it's going.
The new cabin will be a single story building, 26'x24' with two bedrooms, bathroom with composting toilet, living room and kitchen. The construction will not start until spring of 2017. Stay tuned!
Spring DevelopmentOne of the major steps towards homesteading is finding a source of water. I already have rain collection devices on the hilltop cabin but I wanted to find a more steady source of water.
When we first bought the property where the cabin is, we knew there was a source of water where a collection of trees and brambles had grown up and out of control. So after making our way through the overgrowth, we did find a gallon per minute spring.
The spring sat undeveloped for many years until this year when I went looking for it again. Once again the brush had grown and it was a pain to get to. Once I found it it wasn't running (we are in a bit of a drought). I dug a little pit and left it alone for a few days.
We did have some rain during this time so I had good expectations of what I would find when I checked on it. It indeed did have some water in it but still wasn't running like it had in the past. After a few more days it still hadn't recovered. This will be a wait and see project.